Profound Dignity


Hungarian premiere at

Roma Heroes – 2nd International Roma Storytelling Festival
Friday, 25 May 2018, 8:30 p.m., Stúdió K Theater


“On 25th January 1939, I died, according to my medical chart, of some infection. My remains were buried in a common grave in Almeria. I chose well. The militia of the second Spanish Republic locked me up and let me die with my unborn child. (excerpt of the first beatified Roma woman’s story)

The actress living and working in Sevilla commemorates two Spanish Roma women. One of them is Emilia Fernández Rodríguez (the first Roma women who was beatified, in 2017) and the other is Gabriela Ortega Gómez (the first Roma performing artist with a university diploma). The actress tells their stories in the first person, with poetic narrative, changing the roles in surreal situations. Two stories of two heroines unfold parallelly. They both stood up for their own values and beliefs opposing the authorities of the time: one of them fought communism and the other one the Franco-regime.

performed by Sonia Carmona Tapia and Jaime Vicent Bohorez
written by Jaime Vicent Bohorez

In Spanish language with Hungarian interpreting and English surtitles.
After the performance, the artists will be in conversation.